"Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is ... and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong."
- Donna Ball

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How to Prepare Butternut Squash

I know I've said it a million times ...


I am not domesticated.

But believe it or not, occasionally I can master a culinary wonder that leaves people asking how it's done. And one of the things I've had people ask me is how I prepare butternut squash.

I know. Bask in my awesomeness.


But in all seriousness, for those of you who have been daunted by the large, beige THING you walk past in the supermarket, fear no more. I shall crack open its secrets.



First things first:

Cut that baby in half lengthwise.


Voila!!

Now, using a metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and stringy substance from the bottom portion of the butternut squash.



After all the seeds are scooped out, place the squashes skin-side up in a shallow pan and fill with about an inch of water. (I personally use a shallow pyrex dish.)



These guys were grown in my garden, and they are some of the smaller squashes we produced, so we did two.

Now ... put the squashes in your oven on 350 degrees.
Put the timer on for 20-30 minutes.
The time needed depends on the size of the squash, but you'll know they're done when you can easily stick a fork through the tough outer skin.


After they're done, let them cool for about 5 minutes, then scoop the soft flesh out of the skin and mash it up with a little butter or margarine.

And you have sweet, amazing butternut squash that your kids will love.
(Or at least mine do!)



No comments:

Post a Comment